The Low Down on relative humidity in your home
Winter is just around the corner and that means pretty snowflakes, cozy nights by the fire, ice skating and really dry air. We know you are feeling it and so are your floors!
Simply put hardwood floors require the relative humidity (RH) to be maintained at a certain level to look and feel their best.
For PurParket Gravity & Veneto lines, the relative humidity should always be between 40-60%. This will ensure the long-term performance of your wood flooring. Not utilizing a humidification system can result in irreparable damage to your floors. It can also void your product warranty.
Our advice is to invest in a humidifier to ensure that the relative humidity is within these ranges. There are a variety of brands and types of humidifiers available, from stand alone units to ones that are mounted onto your HVAC. Our favorite type is a steam humidifier that is attached directly to your furnace.
Not only will this help your floors, furnishings, millwork, and your home’s overall infrastructure but there are added benefits for you:
• Improvement of skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis
• Fewer nosebleeds
• Healthier hair… bring on that shampoo commercial shine!
• Less snoring
• Relief from sinus conditions
• Happier and healthier houseplants
• Prevents Static
Things to avoid:
• Adding essential oils to your humidifier. These oils can negatively react with the finish on your floors.
• Putting water directly on your floors
Don’t have a humidifier, here are some tricks & tips to add moisture to your air:
• Leave bowls of water out
• Save energy from using your dryer and dry your clothes inside. Ensure where they are drying will not drip on your floors
Here’s to happy, healthier, and less thirsty floors!
#purparket #purparketblog #woodflooring #winter #humidity #renovation #interiordesign #architecture