Welcome to the PurParket blog!
New flooring can be a costly investment for your home. We are often asked, what is the best way to clean them? Today we are going to dive into the do’s and don’ts of how to keep your brand-new floors looking clean and pristine.
· Find out which finish is on your hardwood floor. Whether its an aluminum oxide, UV oil, natural oil or other, this can play a huge part in which products you use to clean your floor. Natural oil finishes will often require some sort of oil soap or buff coat.
· Check to see the manufacturers cleaning recommendations. These are often located either inside one of the flooring boxes or can be found on the company website.
· Use a pH neutral hardwood floor cleaner. Suggestions are often found via manufacturers suggested cleaning or carried at the retailer you purchased through.
· Make sure your vacuum cleaner is made for hardwood flooring or has a suitable attachment. If your vacuum has a beater bar, make sure it is removable.
· Purchase a flat head mop with a microfiber/terry cloth. This is a great tool to wash your floor with. Spritz your cleaner onto the cloth and wipe the floor.
· Wipe up spills and messes as soon as you notice them! Some foods and oils may stain certain types of finishes or cause damage.
· Invest in flooring protectors! Furniture coasters and felt pads are essential on and legs or frames. This will help prevent scratches when moving furniture to clean your floors.
· Place mats at each doorway with outside access, avoid rubber back or dense material as this can trap moisture. This can help prevent dragging dirt, salt, oils and other abrasive particles from outside.
· Do NOT purchase hardwood floor cleaner from the grocery store. Cleaners available at your local grocers or hardware store often have harsh chemicals and wax which can wear your finish down over time or leave a film.
· Avoid using any bleach or ammonia on your floors. For stain removal suggestions, follow manufacturers guidelines.
· Don’t use lots of water to clean your floor. Excess water can seep in between the tongue and groove and cause the wood to swell. Use the less is more approach when washing your hardwood flooring. Some manufacturers may advise against water at all.
· Never use vinegar and water to clean your floor. It’s a myth that this is a safe option to wash hardwood. Vinegar is very acidic, even when diluted, and this can also wear down your finish over time.
· Do not drag any heavy appliances or furniture across your floor. This will cause scratches and gouges in your floor. Make sure to use floor protectors or moving pads.
· Do not wear any high heels, cleats or soiled shoes on your floor. This can cause indentations and abrasions on your hardwood.
tips for keeping your floors beautiful
The following are some helpful tips to navigate you in maintaining your hardwood flooring. Suggestions may vary between manufacturers. Remember to look at your products instruction to ensure you adhere to your warranty requirements.
For PurParket clean and maintenance instructions, please see below:
1. Vacuum the floor areas thoroughly with a soft bristle brush. Alternatively, you can use a broom to sweep the surface. It is important to keep your floor clean and free of dust, sand and other abrasive materials.
2. Apply LOBA® Hardwood Floor Cleaner to terrycloth mop head and wipe the surface of your floor. We do not recommend spraying the product directly onto the floor or substituting the LOBA® Hardwood Floor Cleaner with any other brand of hardwood flooring cleaner.
3. Allow for the product to dry before resuming regular traffic in this area.
NEVER CLEAN THE FLOOR WITH WATER. DO NOT USE ANY HOUSEHOLD CLEANERS, OILS, SOAPS, WAXES OR ANY ABRASIVE MATERIALS OR SCOURING AGENTS ON THE FLOOR.
REMOVING STAINS & SCRATCHES
1. Clean affected area with LOBA® Hardwood Floor Cleaner.
2. Once area is completely dry, touch up area with corresponding touch-up stick. Please consult with dealer for proper color selection.
3. Follow the directions located on your PurParket touch-up kit
REPAIRING SUPERFICIAL SCRATCHES
1. Clean affected area with LOBA® Hardwood Floor Cleaner. Let floor dry completely.
2. Using 120-150 grit sandpaper, sand the perimeter of the area to be repaired lightly, making sure to minimize damage to the surrounding stain colour.
3. Touch up area with corresponding touch-up kit.
4. Follow the directions on your PurParket touch-up kit.
5. Adjust and repeat if needed.
6. Leave to dry completely for approximately 24 hours
PLEASE NOTE: All touch ups to a UV-cured floor will be slightly more visible.